Friday, January 2, 2009

Post Game Thoughts--Rose Bowl

Ugh. Ok let's get this underway.... USC is clearly a gifted and talented team. They exposed the one flaw in PSU's defense--its small secondary. This had really not been an issue all year for PSU because they never faced an offense the likes of USC's. I thought our D-line could have played better though--they could not get the USC quarterback rattled at all. Had this been done, Sanchez (QB) would have struggled.

The 2nd qtr. for PSU was awful. I blame the following--poor PSU defensive play, PSU penalties, the very long layoff since their last game, and losing Evan Royster to a knee injury.

PSU at least played their hearts out in the second half. I didn't watch all of it, mainly because I was about ready to yak on the announcers who were clearly USC fans, fans to the point that USC may have to get restraining orders on them. It was a USC love fest all through the game. It got to the point that Rodney and I muted the TV and had the game on radio for the play by play.

I did have respect for Pete Carroll and USC before the game. This changed after facing them in the Rose Bowl. No I am not a sore loser. PSU was clearly out matched in areas and did not bring their A-game. No, I lost respect because of the classless way the USC players conducted themselves:
  • Planting USC flags in the PSU endzone before the game and at halftime.
  • Players taunting PSU fans in the tunnel before the game and while on the field during the game.
  • Helmet to helmet blatant late hits on PSU players
  • Stomping on a PSU player's chest
  • Dancing on the sidelines during the second qtr.

There is a HUGE difference between confidence and sheer bad attitude/disrespectfulness. The USC coach did NOTHING to stop his players from being classless. It's one thing to beat a great team, it's another thing to act like classless asses in the process. I'll take the losing full of class PSU team any day of the week. I'll take any class team over those classless thugs any time. Thugball has no place in college football. Many of these USC thugs think they'll be making the mojo in the NFL very soon. Some very well may. Others, however will be sitting around in government paid housing pawning their Rose Bowl rings and re-hashing their playing days.

Oh well. PSU played 3 good qtrs, but good doesn't make it against a great team. It was a feat to just make it to the Rose Bowl since they were picked to finish no better than 3rd or 4th in the Big 10. PSU has a lot to build on for next year. I would LOVE to have a rematch with USC.

No comments:

Post a Comment